Sunday, April 13, 2008

Mrs. Robinson Contemplates Roles She'll Never Play

I would seriously contemplate a sex change if I could get a male role in Peter Shaffer’s Equus or Amadeus.

Hamlet, Laertes, Lear, or any guy in Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs . . . .

Wow, suddenly I’ve identified what’s at the core of my Tarantino Ambivalence! His best roles, the real people in his films, not the supporting females or their iconic manifestations (maybe Jackie Brown aside) are, well men. Sorry Honey Bunny; Sorry Jean Louis. There it is.

I’m jealous.

Tarantino, Shakespeare, Shaffer, just to name a few men who nail up a "No Girlz Allowed" sign on the Boyz Only Club House of Art.

OK you may say, “Hey, Bitter Actress! That's pure hyperbole when it comes to the Old Bard-- Lady Macbeth, Ophelia (when Branagh isn't shtooping her)--those are great roles!”

OK lunchtime poll: if you are going crazy, on your way out of sanity’s door would you rather

A) Give some louse "posies for [his] thoughts,"

B) Manifest your madness in OCD hand-washing, or

C) Throw yourself into your dead sister's grave, scream you're going to slit a throat or two in the nearest church, then avenge yourself in a climactic sword fight in which you die by your own poisoned sword meant for your former BFF, but not before you give this great speech confessing your sins, re-bonding with your BFF, and damning the real bad guy?

That’s what I thought.

Speaking of theatre and sex of a different sort--on the cusp of Danny Boy's American debut of the Equus reprisal, A emails me a review that includes photos, with a link to more photos.

Both the reviewer and I are more than a little distracted from the gravity of Shaffer’s play and Art by Harry Potter without his wizard robes.

Have the tables turned on exploitation?

Am I helping to flip them?

Oh what would Dumbledore think?

Oh wait . . . there was already press on that!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Bride is a great female part! (Actually, KILL BILL is populated with almost all female parts -- no pun intended.)

Anonymous said...

Would you LIKE me to seduce you?

Clara Wieland said...

A) Yes but are they real people?
B) Yes very much.

Anonymous said...

A) They're movie characters, so why can't they be larger than life? Being a "real person" isn't the same thing as being a "complex character," right?
B)I'll get on it.

Clara Wieland said...

I suddenly have no critical distance for Kill Bill. A new sentimental fave.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to think, before a Sunday in May, sentiment had not already gotten the better of me when it comes to Tarantino. But when it comes to KILL BILL, a Sunday in May is the best of all reasons to love a movie.