Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Notes from the Holiday Homefront



We are now beginning the countdown to Thanksgiving, our first big Married Couple hosting event. My husband thinks I am making too big a deal about this; he's right on a certain level. For example, I am not a cook, and I am afraid I will kill everyone with Botulism Bird. Rationally I know my husband won't let this happen because he is a cook, and my best friend (also a cook) says she will be on speed-dial, adding that my kitchen safety-related worries are over-rated, facilitated by animal rights groups and the Internet. Notice, however, cooks are telling me not to worry. They probably only suspect a portion of what are my kitchen-anxieties, deeply-rooted in Career Woman Who Never Learned to Cook syndrome. What makes it worse is the best cooks I know are career women & men.
Thank goodness I will not be left alone in the kitchen.

I had jokingly offered Tofurkey as a menu alternative, to wit my husband responded, "Murder is Delicious." (How would Morrissey respond?)
While I am Friend to the Animal Kingdom, I have to admit that I love leather shoes and holiday turkey; it's the other accompanying anxieties of holiday entertaining. I love my family; don't get me wrong. In fact it's because I love them so much, I want everything to be perfect.
It won't be.
I know this, but I am a perfectionist in recovery.
Off to the grocery store!
Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you don't have an anxiety-triggered crying fit before next Thursday, you're not doing it right. Be stressed...it's part of the process. It wouldn't be Thanksgiving if it weren't. Isn't that part of it? At the end of the day, you're thankful you didn't burn the rolls or your cake didn't fall? Happy Tofurkey day. Call me if you need me!

Clara Wieland said...

Thank you for your honesty! I am truly grateful for all the great cooks I know. :)

Aerron said...

Enjoy your first family hosting! It won't be as bad as you think because your family loves you and would never tell you to your face that your food was horrible.

Unknown said...

Okay, why not do what Gail does? She has never cooked a turkey in her life. It is a record she is proud of. Her first husband cooked, and as you know I also cook (no turkey this year, though; I pardoned them all--unlike Sarah Palin--and got a large chicken). But if you really must go through with it, whatever you do, don't read today's Cathy comic strip!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Clara Wieland said...

Hi Joe! Boy do I owe you an email update! How's life as Starbuck?
Happy Turkey Day & love to you & Gail! Off to another meeting!